Monday 18 June 2007

Dolmans in Chippenham - Revisions

Hi Andy,
I think when I sent you the transcription of gravestones from Chippenham I
mentioned that they had blown a hole in my tree. Well it also affects your
tree on Ancestry.com.
This is what you need to do :

Re. the children of Thomas Dolman (1844) and Kitty Brittain (1850)

Frederick Dolman (1883) unlink marriage to Annie Duckett

Dorothy Dolman (1878) unlink marriage to Thomas Duckett

Do not delete the Duckett siblings.
New group – family of Frank Dolman (1861).
Still to find details of parents.

Children include :

Francis Frederick Dolman (1901) married Annie Duckett

Dorothy Kate Dolman (1892) married Thomas Duckett.
New group – family of George Dolman (1829)
Children include :
Georgiana Dolman (1862) who married Henry James Tanner (1860), the latter
is related to my grandfather.

I believe that the parents of George are James Dolman (1805) and Ann Elms
who had a son in the 1841 census c.1827. I think James and Ann are in your
tree.

What puts me off is the fact that George is repeated reported as being born
in Chippenham whereas James and Ann seemed to be based in Stanley. Do you
have a view ?

In 1861, George was the publican at The Rowden Arms in Chippenham, now the
Hungry Horse.

One of James Dolman's (1805) brothers is Thomas (1800) whose son Thomas
(1844) is the one mentioned right at the top.

2 comments:

Andy Dolman said...

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the revisions, I'll alter my trees accordingly. I have a George
Dolman born to James and Ann

1834 Jun 01 - George, son of James & Ann DOLMAN, labourer of Chippenham

At this point James was a labourer in Chippenham.
They were still there in 1836

1836 Feb 14 - Eliza, dau of James & Ann DOLMAN, labourer of Chippenham

This info came from a microfiche of the Chippenham Parish registers.

1841 census they are in Studley, (Town Chippenham) James is still a
labourer. George's age is not accurate (14 instead of 7! , I'm guessing this
is a mistake by the enumerator as Elizabeth is put down as 6 which is more
accurate)

In 1851 they are in the cottage adjoining Stanley Bridge Farm, still in
ecclesiastical district of Chippenham. George has gone by this stage. I
think some of the confusion may be due to use of enumeration districts and
ecclesaiatical districts.

However these may be the wrong James and Ann as there are also an Ann and
James in 1851 in Stanley with a George and Elizabeth of the right age. This
shows everyone being born in Chippenham.

I think the first choice may be right as there is an Elizabeth Elms (widow )
living with them at Stanley Bridge.

This probably makes it clear as mud. Problem comes with the typical Dolman
use of a limited number of boys names and marrying women with the same
name!! A tradition I've carried on wife and sister are both Fiona Jane
Dolman!!

Anonymous said...

Andy,

I think the George Dolman of 1834 whom you referred to is the son of James Dolman and Ann Edwards.
I believe the George (c.1829) I am interested in is the son James Dolman and Anne Elms who I think I have seen on your site as c.1827.
I think the latter is the George Elms Dolman, bpt 26/12/1826 at Bremhill, son of Thomas Dolman and Mary Ann or just Anne, depending which record you look at. The second christian name is a clue, but to complicate it even more, there was a Thomas Dolman of that era who married Mary Ann Bull in 1828.

Do you have a record of the George (c.1827), son of James Dolman and Anne Elms ?

Ron