Monday 18 February 2008

Edward Dolman of Chichester Sussex 1719

The Will of Edward Dolman



Ordered from West Sussex Record Office STCI / 32



2 May 1719





I
give and bequeath my house wherein I dwell after my decease to my son Edward Dolman
for him to enjoy it till my grand-daughter Elizabeth Dolman shall
attain to the age of one and twenty at which time my wish is that she shall
have it for her own use to hold for her heirs but I give the cont of my house
till that time to my son Edward on consideration that he breed up my said grand
daughter Elizabeth all to be that she be kept to work Item I give to
my said Grand daughter Elizabeth Dolman all the furniture of my Chamber over
the shop which she shall enjoy at the age of one and twenty, Item I give to
my grand daughter Mary
the
daughter of my son Samuel the furniture of my chamber over the Kitchen, my
wearing clothes to be equally divided amongst my three sons, William, Sam and
Edward.
Twenty shillings to be given to my youngest son John
in lieu of his quart of my apparel. The goods in my shop to be appraised
and there to show to be equally divided among my three sons William, Sam and Edward
according to the discretion of my executors. I give the rest of my personal
estate, Goods and Chattels to be equally divided between my said Children.



I
make my
loving brothers Dr ? Togoley and Mr Daniel Lucas
the executors of this my will and
testament Ed Dolman:- Signed Sealed published Declared by the testator to be
his last Will and Testament in one
?Page Robt
Bagster, Elizabeth Lucas. her mark, Minerva Humphry her mark.





Second Day of May 1719





Cant
read the Latin..Some reference to Elizabeth Dolman ..did she die? Or was still underage
- perhaps had reached her majority



Daniel
Lucas may be the husband of Elizabeth Lucas possibly nee Dolman.





There
is also a Mary /Minerva Dolman in the family line of the Sussex families
so possibly related to Minerva Humphry



This
Edward is proved as being one of the Sussex families and he and his son
Edward are noted as being needle makers. He may have come from London or Sussex.
Other members of the family were or became cord wainers carpenters and mercers
and hat makers to Royalty





There
may also be a son James and Daniel and perhaps Elizabeth is the daughter of deceased son.


Penny Dolman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome website, I had not come across dolmanfamilyhistory.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Carry on the good work!

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
like this in the past? Keep up the great work!