Wednesday 30 December 2009

WILLIAM (DOLMAN) MILES

Request from guest book. Can anyone help?

William Miles who married Mary Ann Walter 16 May 1836 was my GGGrandfather. One of his daughters, Sarah Miles, b1842, married Henry Hyatt and they lived in Shepton Mallet. My father was a Hyatt. I only found William's marriage recently and discovered that hr was also known as Dolman. On Sarah's marriage certificate her father's name is given as Miles and he made his mark. I would be interested to know why he was also known as Dolman- possibly his mother had been widowed and remarried?

6 comments:

valerie kelly said...

Hi. I live in Hampshire and have a lovely painting of a farm scene signed by a Bert Dolman and painted in 1974. Is this of any interest ? Val

Andy Dolman said...

Hi Valerie,
Would it be possible to email a photo of the painting to go on the blog.
Andy Dolman

Family Tree said...

Great to know that you are working on your family tree. Even, i am working on my family tree and i have named around 1800 people in my tree. Marriage records, Public records and death records are the best means to explore the people in our family history.

Terry O'Brian said...

Andy - in reading LDS Tape 1279351 Maiden Bradley Church Records am today I found following you might be interested in:

Marriage
9 Mar 1814 Stephen Dolman Miles to Ifset White - by banns - both of Maiden Bradley parish. Both signed by X their mark.


FYI - I did not find the baptism record 31 Jan 1795 in Maiden Bradley film!

Terry O'Brian said...

Andrew - in looking at the Dolman Blog saw your query about William (Dolman) Miles

It triggered my memory - I saw a Dolman Miles showing in Ancestry.com when I was looking for my link (you just put on the blog for me) - see Oakley Family Tree - shows a Stephen Dolman Miles b 31 Jan 1795 as a son of Father Thomas Dolman b 17 Oct 1762 d 1796.

Coincidence?

Terry O'Brian said...

Andy - another record you may want (from same microfilm)

16 May 1836 William Miles Merwin Dolman, bachelor of Maiden Bradley & Mary Ann Walter, spinster of Maiden Bradley were married by banns.