Friday 5 January 2007

Bastardy entry WRO/B10/100/2: 1861 March 18

Dear Andy


1) Bastardy entry

No problem, I have extracted the following for you from ref: WRO/B10/100/2:

1861 March 18.
Elizabeth DOLMAN v. George DOLMAN.
Elizabeth DOLMAN swore and sayeth: 'I am a single woman, residing at Stanly
in the parish of Bremhill. I was confined of a male child on 25 Dec last.
George DOLMAN is the father of it. I was living at Bushton last year.
Defendant was living at Stanley. I went home at Lady Day in last year and
stayed a week. We have kept company for 6 years. I met defendant at
Chippenham, on coming home from Chippenham the connection took place. We
were together nearly every day of the week I stayed at home.'
Sarah PEARCE swore and sayeth: 'I live at Stanley in parish of Bremhill, and
am married. A little time before Michaelmas last the defendant was in my
house and I heard him say to my husband and myself in allusion to Elizabeth
DOLMAN. "If she was in the family way he would marry her and she must bide
with her father and he must bide with his, until they could get a place to
live in". In the month of August last the defendant and complainant were at
my house and the defendant said to me "If her money was gone he would let
her have some of his, as long as he had any she should have part of it." I
have seen them have tea together at my mother's house last Lady Day, He
never contracted being the father of Elizabeth DOLMAN's child when taxed
with it.'
Order made.

1862 February 17.
Elizabeth DOLMAN v. DOLMAN.
Elizabeth DOLMAN said that she had had no money since the Thursday after
last Christmas Day.
Defendant says 'I cannot pay, I sometimes earn 2s 6d a day, and sometimes
only 2s a day. I can't pay, and suppose I must go to prison. I have no
goods.'
Committed for 6 weeks.

No comments: